I Miss




I miss when I didn't care what my hair looked like.
I miss when playing dress up was fun no matter what.
I miss when wearing suspenders and playing with barbie were cool.
I miss when I wasn't afraid to wear overalls or clothes with mickey mouse on them.

This week I have been in a funk. 
Why you might ask? 
Or maybe you didn't but I am pretending you did!
Because of numbers and letters.
Now I am sure you are scratching your head at my craziness. 


Since I was staying at the mall I was forced to visit Victoria Secret. 
Hard life I know.
It was a Tuesday morning at 11 so the store was super empty. 
I was then convinced to do a bra fitting, something I have never done. 
And the results were not something that left me feeling to happy. 
I also purchased a super cute skirt in a size that I don't normally purchase.

Do both the bra and skirt look good on? Fit well? Cute?
Yes. Yes. Yes!

So this has gotten me thinking, does size really matter? 
Get your head out of the gutter, I am talking about women's clothing size.

I don't think size should matter at all. 
Every store you walk into is completely different. 
Clothes are cut different, made with different fabrics and designed differently for each store. 
And every woman is different: has different proportions, needs different lengths, prefers something to fit a specific way.
If we were all the same or clothes were all the same it would be a pretty boring existence.
And no one would want to shop and that would be criminal.

If the item of clothing looks good on you and makes you feel confident, size should mean absolutely nothing.

But that leaves me with the question:
why do I care so much about the size of the clothing I buy?

So instead of 'missing' a time when sizes and weight didn't matter, I plan to start living like they don't matter.

Of course I am going to keep working on living a healthy lifestyle BUT:
I will not beat myself up if I am not an 'ideal' size; 
I will not be ashamed to purchase something because of its size;
I will work harder to be happy in my own skin and embrace my body; and
most importantly stop worrying about if I am buying a S, M, L or 4, 6, 8, 10, 12.

I will end this with some inspirational quotes because trying to change your way of thinking can be difficult and requires reminders and motivators.



  



- The Babbling Box!

2 comments

  1. Playing with Barbie now isn't cool? :( I kid, I kid! Great post and a great way to look at life. I need to do the same. I am almost six foot tall and have never worn anything below a size 12...EVER. It doesn't matter how much weight I lose...I'll always be in a 12. I had a bra fitting two years ago...it was definitely akward, but luckily I had a friend do it, so that helped.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only number I concern myself with is my BMI. To me, that lets me know if I'm in the "healthy" range. I wear a 12 and I'm okay with that. I don't think I'm fat and I am trying to raise my daughter to believe that beauty is on the inside-not the outside (even if her mama does refuse to leave the house without makeup!).

    ReplyDelete