Meet The Teacher

In order to get 'ahead' this week I have been tweaking aka adding more gifs to my first week powerpoints and trying to come up with a really great two minute all about me to give the kids. 

This year is a little bittersweet because I just completed my first cycle of students, so I will have a lot lot lot less repeat students which means I will really need to work on those relationships and letting them get to know me. Falling Into First created a very very popular Meet The Teacher link up and the timing felt perfect.


My name is The Babbling Box or A, I really try to keep my name off this blog just to protect my identity, you know while I am busy filling you in on all my comings and goings and every picture I take, glass of wine I consume and funny classroom story. Real talk, my students are crafty and them finding this little ole blog scares the crap out of me.

This will mark my fourth year teaching middle school, side note - there are not nearly as many of us middle school bloggers as there are elementary bloggers and I have always wondered why. Anyways back on track. I teach all three grade levels career electives: robotics, web design and career technology. Before you say how easy and fun that must be lets be real, I teach a demographic that doesn't have access to technology so forcing them to get on a computer everyday is a battle. Yes we have fun. A whole lot of fun. But it ain't a walk in the park. #endrant

Me in middle school: a little collage I made to show my students that I am and will always be more awkward and weird than they are.

I live in Austin with my boyfriend aka the mister, we have been together for over 7 years. No we are not married. No it doesn't bother me. No we don't have kids. No it doesn't bother me. Just practicing for when my students start badgering me...


I am the oldest sibling which pretty much explains my bossy ways, need to take care of everyone and my patience. I have a brother the firefighter aka the hulk, a very sassy younger sister and a little brother who just turned eight. Yes eight, I was 21 when he was born.



These are a few of my favorite things...
Music. Target. Tacos and queso. Shopping. Pinterest. Blogging. Maxi shirts. Did I mention shopping? Makeup. Working out. Hanging out with the mister. Sister time. The beach. Skulls. Bad Reality TV. The pool. Playing in picmonkey. Skyping with the bestie. Instagram. And booze. Although I should probably leave that out on the first day of school.

If you weren't a teacher, what would you want to be?
When I graduated high school I wanted to be a news anchor. When I graduated college I wanted to be a event planner. A few years after that I wanted to go into marketing and graphic design. So I pretty much just found a job that involved all three. I still really want to be a counselor but that's a long term goal. 

Three little words to describe you. 
Weird. Giggly. Dedicated.

Finish the sentence, "______________ said no teacher ever!"
Yes I would like to attend another meeting, said no teacher ever.

It's your birthday and you can invite anyone dead or alive to the party. Who are you inviting?
Jacqueline Kennedy. Audrey Hepburn. Marilyn Monroe. Grace Kelly. Madonna. Talk about some major girl power.

You get to pick one super power. What is it?
The ability to stop time, there never seems to be enough time in the day once school starts and I usually end up putting blogging or the mister on the back burner. Awesome girlfriend award goes to me.

What's your favorite quote or saying?
This changes depending on my mood but these two have become my mantra's this summer.




Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Night owl, could you please find me a school that just starts at 10:00 am already. Please and thank you.

What is your favorite resource that you have created in your TPT store?
Hands down my blogging unit, we use kidblog which is free and spend a few weeks focusing on posting information and pictures to the internet in a safe manner. The kids are mostly engaged because they are talking about themselves, their interests, the latest gif they laughed at, etc. Basically I get to teach them how to be mini bloggers and I love it!

Share something we might not know about you.
I can be very insecure at times, something I probably haven't talked about on this blog at all. I also am a big brat when I have to do something I don't want to do for instance the three hour pd next week on drama based instruction I am required to do. If you could be in my head you would probably here: "I don't want to do this. Can I just play on my phone? Could I go to the bathroom and hide? They want to blindfold someone, avert eyes! avert eyes! Nope not going to do, just not. They want us to do what?"

It probably has a little something to do with my insecurities but my brattiness can rival that of a teenager at times, its something I am working on though. We are all just works in progress, right?

And there you have it, me in a nut shell or a long babble...so I am guessing that means...


Now its your turn to link up!


17 comments

  1. What a cute blog you have! I live north of you in Dallas. We love to visit Austin :)
    Good luck with your new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post! Your bubbly personality really shines through! It's surprising that your students don't have access to technology, yet still show no interest when at school! We share booze as a favorite...haha! I love your first quote so much and think it's so cute how you ended with the clip from "Step Brothers." Love it!

    ~Traci
    <a href="http://thebendersbunch.blogspot.com”>The Bender Bunch</a>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost guarantee that I am brattier than you are. I've had more years to practice! I love that you are weird, giggly and dedicated...that's why I love my A! P.S. I am pretty sure Erin and I should be on that list of girls to invite to lunch...duh!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that too! We should totally be at that lunch table!!!! And I'm not sure how I didn't know about an 8 year old brother. I can't even imagine this!

      Delete
  4. I love your blog! I teach MS in S Florida, and I can totally relate to your joy and anguish. I teach intensive reading, grades 6 and 7, this year, though it could change based on enrollment. They drive me crazy, but I am as wacky as they are, so it works out. I've been at my current school for 7 years and the demands, meetings, paper work, parents, observations, PD, etc., etc.! are getting worse. Now I just want to teach, nothing else to take away from it. I'm tired and worn out and tomorrow is my second day back. It'll be better when the kids get here next week. Good luck this year, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Another Middle School teacher... you are right, we do seem vastly outnumbered here in the blogesphere! I look forward to following your blog more! :) I am really interested to read about your classes, they all sound like classes I would have taken in Middle School :)

    Karie @ Anchored in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're just so adorable! Seriously, just too cute. I love those pictures you shared of your family and that you're a night owl. Seriously, I rock 10am like nobody's business.
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of showing your students your awkward days. What a good idea. Man.. I had my awkward moments too... lol!

    ReplyDelete